Together with colleagues at the TU Graz, Dietrich Albert and my former PhD Student Paul Seitlinger, I was recently successful in applying for an Austrian Science Fund (FWF) project. The project will continue a research route that I have been pursuing already for a number of years. We will be researching cognitive processes involved when people use collaborative tagging systems. On the one hand, this research allows to uncover some of the thinking processes involved when we use social web environments, and on the other hand it allows for exciting technological advances, such as intelligent recommenders.
Implicit and Explicit Memory in Collaborative Tagging
Supported by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF), Austria’s central funding organization for basic research, this two-year project starts on 1st October 2013. This is a cooperation between the Knowledge Technologies Institute at TU Graz, Austria (Prof. Dietrich Albert), and the Centre for Educational Technology at Tallinn University, Estonia (Prof. Tobias Ley).
By means of mathematical models of human memory and several experiments, the project examines cognitive processes involved during the assignment of labels (so called tags) to Web resources, such as bookmarks and photos. A model of a user’s categorization and subsequent labeling of a Web resource will be formalized. This model will then be applied in the design of an intelligent algorithm recommending user specific tags as well as Web resources.
- RT @elisab79: We present a case study how to support collaborative learning wth tag recommendations @SKopeinik @tobold @PaulSeitlinger D.… 1 month ago
- RT @sbuckshum: Helpful riff on Weapons of Math Destruction by @kailashawati eight2late.wordpress.com/2017/01/17/the… #AlgorithmicAccountability 1 month ago
- There is some #STEM education for ya! twitter.com/kevinroose/sta… 1 month ago
- Thanks @anoush for sending this around! Hadn't seen the final version myself :-) twitter.com/anoush/status/… 1 month ago
- RT @TallinnUni: Right now in Tartu, our Prof Tobias Ley (@tobold) is talking about what Estonia has to offer to intl. researchers. Come @Wo… 4 months ago